FlashHeed: Fixing the Flash Z-index Problem For Ads

Here at Scribd, we’ve moved on from Flash and are embracing HTML5 as the open standard for reading on the web. Unfortunately, the ad industry has not quite caught up yet, as many ads are still flash, and probably will be for some time.

The dreaded problem that most web developers come across is the z-index issue with flash elements. When the wmode param is not set, or is set to window, flash elements will always be on top of your DOM content. No matter what kind of z-index voodoo you attempt, your content will never break through the flash. This is because flash, when in window mode, is actually rendered on a layer above all web content.

There is a lot of chatter about this issue, and the simple solution is to specify the wmode parameter to opaque or transparent. This works when you control and deliver the flash content yourself. However, this is not the case for flash ads.

The majority of flash ads don’t specify a wmode parameter, which will put flash into window mode. Why they don’t specify transparent or opaque is a mystery to me. This is a nightmare for pages that have UI elements that depend on z-index, like dropdown menus and lightboxes. Google even has an article about avoiding these sorts of elements altogether when they are in close proximity to ads.

I personally disagree with the notion of redesigning your UI because of display ordering issues with flash ads. It just doesn’t make sense from a product standpoint. And look! Even YouTube, owned by Google, has z-index flash issues with their own ads:

So, to solve all this, I wrote some javascript that will dynamically add the correct wmode parameter. I call it FlashHeed. You can get it now on the GitHub repo.

It works reliably in all major browsers, and has no dependencies, so feel free to drop it into your Prototype or jQuery dependent website.

The usage is simple: just include the FlashHeed javascript in the head of your page, and call it like so:


FlashHeed.heed();

And you’re done. All the flash ads on the page will now heed to the z-index ordering. No more embarassing lightbox and dropdown menu occlusions.

Under the hood, FlashHeed injects the correct wmode parameter and actually forces the flash to re-render. This is the only reliable way that I’ve found to kick the flash into the correct wmode.

Update 11/14/10:

Note that FlashHeed will not work on flash ads or elements that are embedded inside iframes, due to cross domain policies. Unfortunately, I don’t have a solution for those. If anyone has a suggestion, please comment below.

James Yu, Lead Developer at Scribd